By Brandon Olson May 26, 2021
Learn how one business made over $30,000 in new sales in a single day using email marketing, and how you can, too.
Getting new clients in the door is important. But it’s often easier and more cost-effective to look to your existing customers to increase your revenue.
Because they already know, like, and trust you. They have already seen value from your relationship.
In fact, the success rate of selling to a customer you already have is 60-70 percent, while the success rate of selling to a new customer is 5-20 percent. And existing customers are 50 percent more likely to try new products and spend 31 percent more, when compared to new customers.
Still not convinced?
Let’s take a look at how Jonas Troyer, owner of Troyer Websites, made more than $30,000 in new sales from his existing customers in one day using four emails, all of which he sent through his AWeber account.
How Troyer Websites generated over $30,000 in new sales using AWeber
Troyer Websites offers website design services, in addition to some complementary services, like search engine optimization (SEO), social media advertising, graphic design, and more.
Troyer wanted to bring in more business for his SEO services, so he came up with a 15% off one-day promotion to cross-sell an annual package of SEO services to his existing website customers.
He sent four emails to his current customer list of less that 500 subscribers, all on the same day ⏤ one in the morning, one at lunchtime, one in the mid-afternoon, and one at night.
Why did his emails work so effectively? Let’s look at some of the tactics that worked in Troyer’s favor.
How to write emails that drive action
Create urgency through scarcity
Scarcity drives a fear of missing out, or FOMO, and generates demand. Troyer’s emails highlighted that the 15%discount was only available for a limited time and that he only had limited spots available.
His final “last chance” email dialed up the FOMO by saying his company would “probably never do this again.”
Create interest through exclusivity
Because Troyer’s customers were already paying him for other services, offering a discount on another service seemed like an exclusive opportunity just for them.
Use benefit-focused language
Your potential customers don’t just want to know what services you offer. They want to know how it’s going to benefit them.
Use language that focuses on the benefits to the customer. What company doesn’t want to “show up on the first page of Google?”
Use social proof
One of the most effective ways to grow your business is word of mouth. Leveraging customer testimonials and success stories can help other potential customers feel more confident in doing business with you.
Troyer used social proof in his emails, sharing a video where he walks through two of his SEO clients’ websites and the results they’ve seen in working with Troyer and his team. This helps position his promotion in a way that potential clients can see how they will benefit from his SEO services.
How to do this with your customers
If you offer complementary products or services, you can cross-sell these to your existing customers.
- Create and publish a landing page in AWeber to collect payment from your customers.
- Use AWeber Ecommerce to collect payments and tag customers based on their purchase. This will allow you to see how many sales you’ve made from your existing customers. Make sure to apply tags to your customers when they make new purchases so you can target additional offers to them in the future.
- Create a segment of your customers based on past purchases. You can do this by either searching for tags based on past purchases, or importing tags from a spreadsheet based on purchases.
- Draft an email (or series of emails — called a campaign) to your customers about the complementary product or service you’d like to offer them, and link to the AWeber landing page you created.
- Schedule your email to go to your segment of customers and watch the sales roll in.
Ready to increase your sales with your customers? Create a free AWeber account and get started today.